Wednesday, December 15, 2010

jedi, elf or Klansman?



The hostel that we stayed at in Glasgow was small and more focused on fun than it was cleanliness. Which was fine because the guys that work there are nice and it was really relaxed atmosphere. One of the guys that works there, called James who is quite possibly the geekiest person I have ever met and would be happy to here that and is proud to out geek anyone that crosses his path.

One night after many tiny french tesco beers, or biere speciale while talking about his LARPing adventures James announced that he ad one of his elf costumes upstairs, which he then quickly retrieved for me to try on.

Complete with elf ears I started my exploration of this geeky world. It was great fun and I loved wearing the robe; but something about it seemed a little off. This white robe which I had come to love with its pointed hood reminded me of another social group (not LARPers) that are outside of society norms.

Everyone had to try on the ears, but only I would wear the robe and I found myself not wanting to take it off. I even kept it on when I made the last minute beer run before closing time. Everyone warned me not to go wearing it in case I ran into some NEDs who would likely beat the shit out of me and/or knife me. Ignoring their concerns off I went with little trouble as I made my purchase. I was however over come by laughter on the way back when I heard from a passing car "YOU FUCKING WANK!!!!!!!"






No comments:

Post a Comment