Friday, December 3, 2010

The Engine Shed




Although Edinburgh maybe one of the most boring cities in the world (Everything Closes at 7!) there are some gems that make this place worth it. The Engine Shed is definitely one of them. Located next to picturesque Arthurs Seat it is a delicious alternative to deepfried.........Everything else.

The Cafe is its self is located on the second floor of a beautifully restored, historic (you guessed it) engine shed that dates back to the 1830's and was used for british rail. They serve up well-prepared vegan and vegetarian dishes at an affordable price. Although its open from 10 to 4 there is only a 3 hour window to get a hot meal so get there from 12 to 3.

You may be asking yourself why should I go out of my "way to go eat some vegan hippy bullshit?" and I would say to that, "get over yourself asshole." Not only is the food worth it but The Engine Shed has an amazing mandate. The staff is made up of people with disabilities that work there to gain skill and confidence to enter the work force and they have been doing it for 21 years and counting. The first time someone rang in my order and gave me my change (with a little assistance) she actually said "this is fun, I love doing the till" I dont think you would hear that anywhere else. This place is magic

No comments:

Post a Comment